University of Florida Homepage

Senior Letter: Denise Go

1291301_683462175016849_1707830958_a

Dear UF Speech and Debate coaches and teammates,

Well, after I wrote that, I think it just all became real. I can’t believe I’ve spent four beautiful years on this team! I’m a much different person today than I was when I walked into my very first Speech and Debate meeting, during which I spent the majority of the time trying to figure out how Hannah Strange delivered an impromptu speech with complete and utter smoothness and being completely floored by Kevin Weng’s extemp speech on the Japanese economy (since then, I’ve been scared shitless of extemp).

But since that moment, I started to grow as a person, which, to me, is more valuable than any trophy I’ve ever been awarded during the time I competed. And I owe it to all of you. I’ve been asked before how I got involved in Speech and Debate and I always start off with something along the lines of, “Well, I used to be this really quiet and introverted person—you couldn’t get a peep out of me….” I know how I look hasn’t changed much since I was a freshman on the team (any of you who’ve seen that meme of how Asian women age know what I’m talking about), but this activity and this team has compelled me to be more expressive, be more patient, be kinder, be bolder, and to be more. As Joy Minchin pointed out this past AFA, it probably all started with my ADS on Tiger Moms and since then, I’ve obtained a much deeper awareness of Asian American issues and a deeper awareness of who I am and who I’d want to be.

I’ve always looked forward to our meetings every week, even when I felt pressured or stressed from other things I couldn’t control in my life—the reason being that each one of you has always made me felt so welcome, so happy, and so loved. I hope each of you take a moment to think about how special and talented you are because sometimes, we forget.  I know I’ll never forget all the memories I made with this team and the lessons I learned from all of you (which I can individually list here, but would probably take another ten pages or so). For my coaches and teammates, you taught me to be the best possible version of myself and I am so grateful for that. I’ve loved being mentored and mentoring, making new friends and cherishing old ones, and watching this team’s competitive success come into full bloom this year. Cherish what you have on this team and remember the passion you have for this activity and the love that surrounds you.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to have been your secretary/treasurer, your VP, your president, and your friend.

Love always,

Denise